Thursday, July 15, 2010

Denim Jacket

I was shopping at The Children's Place a couple of weeks ago and found this denim jacket on clearance.  Immediately I was inspired that I wanted to decorate it for my daughter.  I had seen on another blog how you could use freezer paper to create a stencil with your cricut and was looking for a project.  I did use the new Hoot 'n' Holler cartridge available from Wal-Mart to cut an outline for my owl.  I bought Tulip fabric paint in several colors from Michaels.  I wasn't overly thrilled with the effect I was getting from the stencils and had a little trouble with the paint getting under the freezer paper near the seams... so I decided to forget the stencils and freehand the rest.  I like the freehand parts the best.  I don't love the colors I had to work with and had a hard time deciding which colors to use.  I'm still not sure I made the best choice, but at that point I was committed, so I went with it. 
Here is the front.  I painted the panels below the pocket flaps purple and sprinkled it with a washable glitter also from Tulip.  I thought the back was plenty bold, so I went a little milder on the front.  I had hoped to use some rhinestones on it, but after doing the polka dots around the seams I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate them that I liked.  So... I guess I will just have to use the rhinestones on another project.

This was my first attempt at painting on fabric.  I am fairly pleased with the way it turned out, but will definitely do some things differently in the future.  For example, I now know that if I do a name it will be higher, up across the top of the shoulders.  I bought a jacket that fits me too, but I am having a hard time committing to a design.  I hope this inspires you to try your hand at fabric painting.  It was fun.  Emily wanted to wear her new jacket to daycamp today.  I snapped a few pictures quickly just before she left incase I never see it again!  She does have a habit of losing things at school!

1 comment:

  1. It turned out really cute Kristy. Looks like you changed the colors on the owl.

    ReplyDelete